• Introduction by Eva Dusil • Editing by Gabriel Dusil • 2014 November
• I began my university studies in Košice, Slovakia in September of 1965. There were three other girls in the program. None of them finished. In fact of the 120 students that started only 40 became veterinarians. Those that dropped out either couldn’t handle the curriculum or realized they enrolled in the wrong profession. From 8:00 in the morning until 17:00 I was busy attending lectures and labs.
• When I continued my studies in Canada, I realized the contrast in the educational practices between the East and West. I came from a teaching system of intimidation. I initially believed that I was accepted into the Canadian education system so they could show how little an “Easterner” knew – after being humiliated they would kick me out of the program. In time I realized that wasn’t the case. The objective in Guelph was to teach the students – surprise surprise – and help them become great veterinarians. I soon became a proud student and felt that I was a member of an important establishment. The teaching staff were colleagues as well as friends. They didn’t posture as senior educators, acting pompous or patronizing to the students. That regime was now behind me. In Guelph the lectures were comprehensive and geared toward teaching techniques that were relevant in real practice. I realized that as a student of higher education I could be a progressive force in society, and a positive instigator of change. I graduated two years later. During my time at Guelph I made many friends with the students and teaching staff. I found them to be decent, hardworking, and ambitious. I learned what it meant to be Canadian.
• I lived in residence during the week and came home most weekends. Trips to Brampton on Friday afternoons were filled with anticipation, to see my son, Gabriel. He attended Jack and Jill nursery school until 17:00. Then he had a babysitter until 20:00 when Vašek came home from work. These were difficult times for all of us.
If you missed other Mamička posts, you can link to them here:
- 1 • Mamička
- 5 • Mamička & Taci • Wedding
- 19 • Mamička • Veterinarian
- 22 • Mamička • Keszthely
- 25 • Mamička • University
- 32 • Mamička & Taci
- 33 • Mamička • Horses
- 40 • Mamička • University
- 46 • Mamička • Circus
- 50 • Mamička • Inspiration
- 52 • Mamička • Farm
- 54 • Mamička • Horses
• Photo Restoration
• 6 minutes 47 seconds
• Postscript by Eva Dusil • 2014 November • This is an important photo with Dr. Hans Selye, the author of Stress without Distress. I heard of him when I was a young girl from my father. He is a graduate of Charles University in Prague. Dr. Selye spoke several languages including Hungarian. In 1968 he was honored with the Companion of the Order of Canada – the highest decoration award, in Canada. I am very proud of this photo with him.
• Founder • CEO • Strategist • Entrepreneur • Speaker
• Photographer • Designer • Creativist • Writer • Blogger
• Teacher • Trainer • Geek • INTJ
Gabriel is a seasoned sales and marketing expert with over 25 years in senior positions at Motorola, VeriSign (acquired by Symantec in 2010 for 1.25 billion US$), SecureWorks (acquired by Dell in 2011 for 612 million US$), and Cognitive Security (acquired by Cisco in 2013 for 25 million US$). He is a blockchain entrepreneur, with strengths in international business strategy.
Gabriel has a bachelor’s degree in Engineering Physics from McMaster University in Canada and expert knowledge in crypto incubation, cloud computing, IT security, and digital video technology. Gabriel also runs his own company, Euro Tech Startups s.r.o.
Hobbies include photography, video production, motion graphics, digital graphics, photo restoration, carpentry, martial arts, traveling, blogging, and trying to be better than yesterday.
- Photography • https://Dusil.org
- Facebook • Facebook.com/dusilg
- LinkedIn • Linkedin.com/in/GabrielDusil
- Twitter • Twitter.com/dusilg
- Instagram • Instagram.com/gdusil
- Professional Blog • Dusil.com
- Personal Blog • GabrielDusil.com
- Consulting • EuroStartups.tech
- Behance • Behance.net/Dusil
- YouTube • youtube.com/user/gdusil
- SlideShare • Slideshare.net/gdusil